Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Anna Karenina, 1967


I'm nearing the end of the novel and wanted to see one of the Anna Karenina films. Seems that a Russian version would offer the best experience. Since it's the only version I've seen, I can't say if Aleksandr Zarkhi's version is the "best," but it sure was satisfying. The film is just two hours and 19 minutes so the story moves along quickly. (The book is over 800 pages.) Most of the storyline with Levin is eliminated. The film is very impressionistic. Given the time period, I was surprised that the director didn't focus much on class struggle and he didn't make the main characters, who're all nobles,  look like evil.The film reminded me more of a French film, than what I'd expect from 1960's Russia.

Don't watch this with the English dubbing as that makes the film sound ridiculous. Adjust the DVD so you have subtitles with the Russian.

Watching the film, doesn't replace reading the novel, but it's a good add-on.

No comments: