Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Love Letter

When I first started watching, Love Letter kind of confused me. I'll admit that I didn't quite understand the jumping from the librarian to the fiancee. Both roles are played by the same actress. (Hmm . . . maybe it would have been better to have two different actresses who just look a bit alike or to make resemblance irrelevant.) Anyway one woman is mourning the death of her fiance and the other receives and responds to letters addressed to him. The letters get to her because she lives in the same small town and has his same name, coincidentally.

There's a lot of coincidence and sentimental emotion here, but the film is often beautiful and has a certain nice vibe to it. I think it would have been better without the coincidence. It could still work. That the second love is the spitting image of the first lessens the romance.

No comments: