Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Valentine's Day

I'd seen mediocre reviews for Valentine's Day and pretty much believed them. Yet when the film was offered on my flight to the US, I figured why not.

Turns out I'm in full agreement with the critics who panned it. Valentine's Day employs the well worn plot device of showing several people who's lives are connected though they usually don't realize it. It's as contrived as can be. The writer crammed in more storylines than necessary. The characters were stereotypes and so much was far fetched. For example, Jennifer Garner plays a school teacher. Clearly, the writer and director never considered making that job look realistic. Funny things happen in school, though the kids remarks are never stilted as they were here. The dialog was so hackneyed.

I love good romantic comedy like that of Nora Ephron or Billy Wilder. I want real chemistry like Tracy and Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn and any good leading man or even Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. (Hanks in such films is a good guy, but not one that is all that alluring.) This was miles away from that standard. Glad I didn't pay for this.

Perhaps if the people who did Love Actually, were involved it would have been a better film.

No comments: