Thursday, January 6, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 1


Well, I haven't read the books or seen any of the Harry Potter films in their entirety. I just haven't gotten into them. Yet when a hostess in Korea suggested going to the latest Harry Potter film, I couldn't refuse. It would make for a good activity to do with your first foreign guest.

I didn't expect to like the film much. I knew I would miss out on some of the backstory, yet since the film is steeped in pop culture even if you haven't read the books you know about the main characters and thrust of the work. Also any good film will provide most of what a new entrant to a series needs to know. That was the case with this movie.

I found I did like the characters and was interested in their relationships. The story fits the genre and kept me interested. I did think some scenes, like when Harry's red haired friend, feels jealous of Harry and Hermione, or as I think of her "the girl." The voice over of his fears was a bit heavy handed. I remind myself that this story is targeted to teens and kids so the author does want them to understand the dynamics so I try to keep the critic in my head at bay. I did think the main villain with the weird nose was well done. There's a lots of clever magic bits like fruit that flies and wacky homes and newspapers with photos that move and I liked all that.

In some parts I felt the film was a lot like the Lord of the Rings, another series I've skipped but know of due to its general popularity. The effects are good, state of the art CGI, but there's a thing about CGI. No matter how sophisticated they are I can spot them as CGI and while I'm watching them I'm fully aware that I am and evaluate them as such. They stop me from suspending my disbelief till their through. Why is that?

I did like this film and would see another Harry Potter film in a theater. I don't think a DVD viewing would keep me interested.

No comments: