Saturday, September 25, 2010

Glee: My New Favorite Show

There's so much good TV right now. Bridget, if you're reading this it was a good time to buy a television. One reason I say this is Fox's Glee,the smart, funny musical show that mixes comedy and drama to entertain and satirize. Like many American shows it's set in a high school and looks at the lives a teens and tho adults who touch their lives. Glee satirizes the pecking order of high school, the deification of athletes and the ridicule various "losers" face. The music is amazing week after week. I love how the show blends all genres: broadway, rock, rap, funk, you name it. The characters, while played over-the-top, are inspired. I love how they all are full of contradictions. Even the villan has more to her than you think. The writers are masters at surprise and can play off any stereotype you give them. The lines are fantastic. They aren't above making fun of the show and cast as is the case in the final episode when one of the Regional judges, Olivia Newton John, sneers at the tokenism of our team, the New Directions. They're not afraid to have a real live non-PC villian as guests and regulars.

2 comments:

IamMBB said...

I totally agree with you about the awesomeness of Glee. I've been watching since the pilot was first posted online and have seen almost every episode either live (on someone else's TV) or the next day online. I also own all the music, thanks to iTunes. And I did buy a TV, on the way home from taking Rachel to college. So, now I'm DVRing Glee too.

Anonymous said...

You've leapt from not owning a TV to DVRing.

I think the show gets better and better and that's not easy to do.

It's a show that I really hate to miss even though they recap previous episodes so you're up to date on the plot. I want to see every number and see how each plot point plays out. Great exchanges between the characters.